Our First Fundraiser

fundraiser pic1We had our first Sophie's Promise Fundraiser on 4/28/12. It was an amazing night and went off without a hitch thanks to my awesome board members and family! The nerves didn't really hit me until that morning. It would be the first time I have ever spoken publicly in front of so many people. I have no problem talking on the radio with ease but in front of 350 people was another beast. I thought to myself how am I going to keep myself together about a subject that is so near and dear to my heart, my children. Its started out ok but it was short lived. I started my speech by thank my board members. These wonderful group of woman have served this foundation with nothing but heart and soul along with our 1 and only male board member my husband Joe. As soon as I got to the part about discussing Emme's diagnosis, I could feel my throat swell and the tears began to flow. The last thing I wanted to do but I am human and it happens. I think I cry a lot when I talk about my children not because I'm sad for them but that I love them so much it brings me to tears.

We had such an amazing turn out of people. 350 of our closest family and friends and even some new friends. The love in the room was palpable we all know we were there for an amazing cause.

I showed a short montage video call "what is the face of autism" and it was a video that was compiled about Sophie's life from birth to current age. We wanted people to know the stages that we had been through. There was immediate guilt as a parent, what didn't we do right , what could we have done better? Then there was the grief period. This period for me was the hardest and the most depressing. I don't think I ever wanted to get out of bed for at least a few months. I cried a lot, I barely left the house, I wore pajamas morning, noon and night and I barely brushed my hair. All I ever wanted to do was sleep and that's exactly what I did most days after getting her off to school. I would go right back to bed and cover my head under the blanket. It was like a bad dream that I wanted to wake up from. That lasted for at least 1 year.

Shortly there after I remember thinking to myself, what the hell are you doing? Momma Bear kicked in. I researched feverishly from the time I wook up to the time I went to bed. Somedays that was at 3 am. I read more books about autism in a few weeks than you could possibly imagine. I read up on supplements and which would be best for my child. I burned out pretty quickly from that. While I do do research almost daily I now limit my time on it.

Shortly after that stage came the final stage of acceptance, freedom, happiness! I am a worrior mom and I can DO THIS! And this is where we are today. We will never say never!

Dinner was really good but took way to long to be served imo ! The comedy show of out of the gutter was hilarious! It feels so great to smile and laugh sometime.

So here I am, everything has calmed down and I'm itching to start the planning for the next fundraiser!